Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The banality of evil


AOG, London

I found this on the internet. I am reminded of Hannah Arendt's 1963 book "Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the banality of evil".

I can no more condemm these soldiers than I can praise the government which sent them there. Is what they are doing evil?

I think it is careless. Disrespectful. Shameful. Most of all it is inmature.

I suppose that in a few years time, these soldiers will have children of their own, and they will remember their actions in Iraq.

Perhaps then they will feel ashamed for having done this. Or perhaps their memories will have changed their recollection of these days. They will be remembered as better. Different.

If this happens, no justice will have been done. And still the earth will continue spinning as if nothing happened. As is always the case. I know I am a bit of a nihilist, but, in this case, how can I not be?

This is such a poor show of humanity. I feel ashamed and sorry. Both for the children and for the soldiers.

No comments: