Friday, June 19, 2009

French Wants To Study Burqa Wear, May Ban It In Public

AOG, Madrid


Should France ban the burka? Why not? When Western women move to Islamic countries they are required to observe their customs and often have to wear some sort of head covering in many (though not all) of them.

To ask people living in your country to observe your country's accepted way of dress, though in imposition, is not the worse thing you can be asked to do. Nowhere in the Koran does it state that women HAVE to wear a Burka.

It is a cultural, rather than a religious, custom. Is a woman any less Islamic for not wearing this type of dress? Obviously not, yet religious fanatics attach belief to cultural practice and sell it as dogma. This, of course, always in detriment of women.

I think it is plainly obvious that the main problem with Islamic fanaticism is its treatment of women rather than if women have a choice to wear the burka or not.

If you are the type of man who will not allow his wife to leave the house covered from head to toe, then Western society has a problem with your treatment of your wife, not with your religion, unless your religious views color your actions in regard to your wife.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of bans but I am uncomfortable when needing to interact with a person wearing a burka.
In the U.K communication is partly in words but partly in observance of facial movements and expressions.
By cutting me off from those aspects of the person I do not feel confident in my interpretation of a conversation.I feel that I can be misled.
In addition I know that I could not expect the same level of independence in my dress and behaviour in a muslim country and I am quite willing to adapt myself to their norms.
In consequence it seems that an expectation that the burka can be worn is unfair to Western life.