Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Settling in

AOG, Madrid

Yesterday I was at Gran Via station in Madrid. Up until yesterday I always had to look which way to go and I was forever trying to find the exit sign.

But yesterday, I got out of the carriage and headed without giving it a second thought towards the outside.

Just before I got to the turnstiles, I realised I had not once looked up to find the exit sign. After 2 years and 4 months, I think I might be settling in Madrid.

I rememeber when I first moved to London. It took me almost 6 months to understand the Underground. All those lines passing through the same station; trains from the same line stopping here and there; trains and Underground stations all in one place.

Looking back, it all makes sense now. So much so that I wish Madrid's Metro had this station-sharing idea. But at the time, I used to get lost and frustrated a lot. Wrong train; wrong direction; wrong line.

I don't remember when it was that I finally settled in London. Maybe I never did. Perhaps that is why I left.

No comments: